- BENGALURU : A couple of weeks back, Pentagon chief Mark Esper said the US military needs help from private firms and universities to win the artificial intelligence (AI) race with China, because ” whichever nation harnesses AI first will have a decisive advantage on the battlefield for many, many years” .
- Last week, India’s defence minister Rajnath Singh launched a portal for Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) to facilitate the involvement of startups.
- This, too, recognizes the need for a strategic push to prepare for new military frontiers as neighbouring China takes rapid strides in hi-tech.
- The challenges from the defence services come with an assured minimum order quantity once a prototype passes muster.
- Silicon Valley investor Venktesh Shukla hopes iDEX will condition the bureaucracy and Armed Forces to open their minds.
Read full article: livemint.com